Kitchen Ingredients That Will Clean Your Entire House
- December 31, 2017
- Posted by: Stefan Green
- Category: blog
Keep your home clean, green, and healthy!
Your house has number of commercial cleaners, couple for kitchen cleaning, several bathroom and toilet cleaner, some to clean carpets and floors and some all-purpose cleaners. Well, it’s a lot, right? These commercial cleaners are laden with allergens, toxins and irritants, which besides leaving your home clean and fresh, also leaves behind harsh airborne chemicals which can be harmful to your health and that to the environment.
One of the best ways to eliminate toxins from your home and save money, environment and health of you and family is to make your own homemade non-toxic cleaners. You may feel overwhelmed thinking about natural cleaners that can seem expensive but you have core ingredients already lying around the house. These ingredients are simple yet powerful multipurpose cleaners.
You can give natural cleaning a try without a lot of effort. Here’s a list of what you’ll need to get started.
Baking soda, natural ingredient easily found in the kitchen, is alkaline making it a mild abrasive that easily removes dirt, grease. It is also a natural deodorizer, air freshener, and water softener. And it is completely non-toxic (no more dangers for kids and pets licking surfaces that you’ve cleaned). Scrubbing the surfaces with baking soda will easily remove water based stains, food deposits and even with all that, it won’t scratch delicate surfaces.
- Leave an open box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb odors. Freshen your carpets and rugs by sprinkling baking soda, leave it for 30 minutes or so, and then vacuum. Baking soda can also be used to deodorize your garbage can.
- To unclog drains, pour baking soda down the drain, then pour vinegar to foam, and then dribble just enough hot water to wash the solution down. Leave it overnight and flush with cold water
- ¼ cup of baking soda with a few cups of warm water works as whitener; use ¼ cup of baking soda with less water to create a paste for scrubbing.
White vinegar is a mild acid that can cleanse bacteria and other germs from your house, cuts easily through grease, remove mildew, and clean stains. But it is not for every surface (like marble and granite). Even so vinegar is very versatile ingredient which when mixed with other ingredients can bring great cleaning results. Vinegar makes a great all-purpose cleaner.
- Vinegar can be used as fabric softener in the rinse cycle. In addition to being a fantastic non-toxic degreaser, it eliminates soap scum.
- A solution of equal parts vinegar and water can be used in a spray bottle to clean windows and walls. Use a cloth dipped in vinegar to remove stains on curtains, furniture, and carpeting.
- Vinegar combined with baking soda, makes a great foaming toilet cleaner.
- To get rid of tough odors like cigarette smoke, leave a bowl of vinegar in the room overnight.
Hydrogen peroxide is also non-toxic and is an alternative to bleach. It can also be used as disinfectant and is one of the most effective blood stain removers.
However, never combine hydrogen peroxide and vinegar as homemade cleaning recipes. With the chemical reaction they form peracetic acid which can be irritating and corrosive. And also store hydrogen peroxide in a dark container since it’s sensitive to light
Lemon (and lemon juice) is natural cleaner with antibacterial properties. You can clean and shine your kitchen and bathroom surfaces and polish copper or brass with lemon. Lemon juice is natural bleaching agent and also cuts through grease, removes stains, and even eliminates mold and mildew. You can have your home scented fresh by adding lemon, orange and lime peels to your homemade cleaners.
- Putting a lemon or orange peel in the garbage disposal is a good way to freshen it.
- Clean stains and kill germs from cutting boards by cleaning with diluted lemon juice.
Salt can be used to soften hard water and clothes, and even used as a natural scent booster. And its abrasive properties can be used to scour dirty surfaces, particularly when paired with a lemon or lemon juice.
- A solution of salt and club soda will clean and deodorize the inside of your fridge.
- For wine spills on cotton or linen, blot out what you can, then pour salt on the stain to suck rest and then soak the fabric in cold water before washing.
Alcohol (vodka and rubbing alcohol)
Alcohol is good to kill germs and even remove mold and mildew. Vodka has high alcohol content making it perfect cleaning solution. You can also use alcohol to help shine chrome and glass. Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) is used as an anti-septic. Rubbing alcohol provides the base for an evaporating cleaner to rival commercial window and glass cleaning solutions. Use it on windows, mirrors, and chrome fixtures and for a shiny finish on hard-surface ceramic tiles.
Cornstarch can be used as a starching solution for clothing. Cornstarch also absorbs oils and greases, making it a great help in the laundry room or for stains on countertops.
Also known as Boric Acid, this ingredient is most commonly used as an alternative to bleach. Borax is a natural mineral, but can be an irritant on skin, and shouldn’t be ingested. Borax can be used as a stain remover and it can disinfect, deodorize, clean, soften water and renew painted or wallpapered walls.
Castile soap is a concentrated vegetable-based soap and can be found in the form of a liquid, powder or bar. This soap is an all-purpose cleaner. You can clean from anything to everything, as body soap, to wash pets or as general cleaner and they are gentle to the skin. Liquid castile soap is an excellent degreaser.
Most of the ingredients used to make homemade products are basic ingredients which you may already own and be using in your home. You can add essential oils in your homemade cleaners. They can be antimicrobial, disinfectants, and also leave your home smell fresh and soothing naturally. Be careful when mixing ingredients and use new clean bottles and follow storage guidelines. Disinfect and freshen your home with these powerful yet non-toxic homemade cleaners.
Hope you enjoy with these homemade mixtures very useful for your home!